Archive for the ‘Events’ Category
What: OffWorld: The WordSpace Science Fiction Book Club
Where: WordSpace, 415 North Tyler St.
When: Monthly, Tuesday, November 13, 7 pm
Hosted by: Phllip Washington
The Author: Neal Stephenson
To join OffWorld or for more information contact Phillip Washington at email@example.com or call WordSpace, 214-838-3554, ext. 2, Click here for the OffWorld Blog
If you are a science fiction fan, please read Section A below. If you are not currently a science fiction reader, please skip to Section B.
“Does your bucket list include things like “piercing the outer layers of corporate cyberstructures, surfing the burning neon matrix of the cosmic internet, picturesque holograms of your disembodied consciousness navigating 4 dimensional super-continuums?”
Do you have dreams of futuristic landscapes, cybernetic samurais, and psychic aliens? Have you ever wanted to travel through time?” “Do you see yourself living in future dystopias and utopias? We hear you loud and clear, You’re saying: “Yes As long as it ain’t as hot THERE as summer in Dallas.” We’d have to agree with you on that one.
Answering “Yes” to most of these questions indicates a functioning imagination. And guess what? We have a place for you, and others like you. Join “OffWorld: The Official Dallas Science Fiction Book Club” today. Get ready to geek out, PhReAk out, and congregate with other kindred spirits who love Science Fiction literature.
(Please proceed to Section C, or read Section B just for the fun of it.)
Did you stop reading science fiction when you were fourteen years old? Is “1984″ the only science fiction novel you ever read, and then only because it was assigned in class? Do you assume all science fiction novels are either based on Star Trek or cater to adolescent, male sexual fantasies?
Well, there is a whole new alien landscape out there, and WordSpace wants to explore it with you.
The current crop of science fiction writers are complex, funny, visionary, and scary-smart on topics most people will know little or nothing about before they change our world forever.
OffWorld: The Official Dallas Science Fiction Book Club will introduce you to a new perspective of the present by examining visions of the future
(Please proceed to Section C)
Joining is easy and fun. Here is how OffWorld works:
1) Rather than reading a particular book, OffWorld will choose a writer to focus on for a three-month period.
2) Club members may read one or several books by that author during the three months.
3) The website Worlds Without End has generously offered to host discussion forums for OffWorld. The forums will feature ongoing discussions of individual books and general topics related to the author. Members can propose their own forum topics.
4) During the three-month session, WordSpace will host two discussions on the author and his or her work at our Tyler Street storefront in Oak Cliff.
5) During the three-month session, Half Price Books on Northwest Highway will also host a public meeting, this one with a guest speaker from the scientific, medical, or tech community who will discuss a topic —anything from robotics to advances in molecular biology, as it relates to science fiction.
6) Joining OffWorld is FREE. The sessions at Half Price Books will cost $10, but will be free to WordSpace members.
Neal Stephenson is our first OffWorld author. (Warning! Warning! Some of Mr. Stephenson’s books are 1000 pages long, but hey, you have three months to read one, and some are much shorter.)